Texas Hold’em poker is by far the most frequently played type of poker played today. Its success can be shown by an ever growing number of people who play it at casinos and online card rooms around the world and by the public interest in televised high profile tournaments.
In Texas Hold’em before any cards are dealt the two blinds must be posted. The two players to the left of the dealer post the blinds, the player to the dealers’ immediate left posts the ‘Small Blind’ and the player to his left posts the ‘Big Blind’. In a Texas Hold’em game the blinds are set at half of the table limits (thus a player at a $.50/$1.00 limit table knows that the blinds are $.25 and $.50).
- After the players post the blinds the dealer deals two face down cards to each of the players (these are the players ‘hole’ cards).
- The players make their bets.
- With the betting over the dealer deals three community cards dealt face up and places them in the center of the table for all to see (the ‘flop’).
- After seeing the flop the players again bet.
- After this betting the dealer deals a fourth community card and places it with the others in the center of the table (the ‘Turn’).
- After seeing the turn the players again bet.
- After this betting is done the dealer deals the fifth and final community card and places it with the others in the center of the table (the ‘River’).
- With all of the cards now dealt the players make their last bets.
With the completion of this last betting round the poker showdown takes place. The remaining poker players using the cards available to them, the community cards and their hole cards, make the best five card hand they can, the player who is able to make the best five card poker hand wins.
Texas Hold’em Poker is played with three different betting types, they are:
- Limit betting – this betting type sets a betting limit on each of the betting rounds. The table limits define the betting limits, thus, a $.50/$1.00 limit table defines the maximum betting limit as $.50 for the first round and the maximum betting limit as $1.00 for subsequent rounds.
- Pot Limit betting – this betting type allows a player to bet up whatever the pot total amount is when it’s your turn to make a bet.
- No-Limit betting – this betting type allows players to go ‘all-in’ and bet everything if they want, the only limit to the size of the bet is that they must have the chips when its their turn to bet (players can’t bring extra money into play mid-round).